Since the advent of disco music almost 4 decades ago, electronic dance music has progressed in leaps and bounds. It has carved out a significant place for itself among the various other genres of music and rightly so. The main aspects of this kind of dance music are rhythm and beats and people can groove to it while continuing with their work. Technology can be given the main credit for these recent advancements in electronic music. New instruments are cropping up by the day and it is imperative that you stay adequately updated in order to exploit the additions efficiently.
To a traditional music purist, electronic music may not sound very appealing but if you ask the common masses, nowadays, they prefer electronic dance music more than anything else. If you want to be an EDM producer, you need to have a keen sense of music and some new equipment at your disposal. Being new in this genre can become a little difficult but if you stick religiously to it and follow the tips mentioned below, it might be a little more smooth-sailing for you.
Upgrading your tools
Like mentioned before, in order to survive in the scene of Electronic Dance Music, you have to keep upgrading and use the latest equipment in order to produce sounds that are unique and appealing at the same time. This will help you stand out from all the other musicians in a similar genre. A few of the tools that should be upgraded are as follows.
- The Software- every electronic dance music producer has a Digital Audio Workstation or DAW which is basically the platform that allows them to make, edit and mix music. It is important that you leave the old software and use the new ones, the FL Studio being the most famous one these days. It is used by beginners and professionals with multiple utilities.
- Apple Garageband- this is a mild form of a mixing platform and is applicable for Macbook users. It comes with the basic functions and is easy to use. Garageband can be used as your introduction to EDM, especially if you are unsure that you want to pursue it.
- Apple Logic Pro X- this is another exclusive option for Apple users. It has everything that you need to start your own music production. Synthesizers, virtual drums, bass amp, effects of the highest quality, you name it and it is available on Apple Logic Pro X. You should definitely not give it a miss.
- Image-line FL Studio 20- most of the applications run well for MAC users. However, this is a good exception. Image-line FL Studio 20 is for PC users exclusively though Bootcamp can be used to run it in Macbooks as well. The best part about this is the number of plugins you can use in it. It is within budget as well.
- Ableton Live 10- this application works well in both MAC and PC. The interface is very smooth and this helps in synchronizing the workflow well. Ableton Live 10 is the best DAW to use during a live performance because of its simplicity and utility.
Get to know classic electronic music sounds
Yes, a lot of stress has now been given about new tools and the advancement of technology and the ability to keep up with it in order to produce music of good quality. However, this does not take away the credibility of the classic electronic music sounds in any way. The traditional drum sounds and variations that were created electronically play a vital role in shaping your affinities. Moreover, the more amount of time that you spend with it, you will become aware of the nuances and intricacies of the different vintage machines. This will help you finalize a drum sound on which you can base your next production. You can even take music lessons for the needful.
Experiment with cooking your own drums
People who listen to electronic dance music feel a beat in their guts and they dance to it. This beat is mainly initiated through kick drums. You should not simply pick up your kick drums from a pre-existing library. Instead, you should put in an effort to pick up different sets and mix them accordingly to create a good foundation for your music.
Play with phase
If you are a science student, you will be aware of the fact that sound travels in the form of waves which tend to repeat itself over a particular interval. A phase refers to this point of repetition itself. When you take two sound signals which have a similar waveform and combine them, the amplitude of the resultant wave increases and it leads to a sound of better quality. This concept of a phase leaves a lot of room for experimentation. You can either add, cancel or mix different phases to get sounds that will stand out from the rest. Playing with phase is important, as far as creating good music is concerned. This is all the more applicable when you feel that the energy of the sound is not consistent throughout and they lie at different spectrums.
Always be on the lookout for new sounds
Last but not least, since electronic dance music is all about innovation, you should have a penchant for new sounds. You can look for inspiration from natural sources as well as other EDM artists and try incorporating them into music production as well.
If you are looking to venture into the world of Electronic Dance Music, keep these tips in mind and you can definitely go the distance in this genre.